Vitalpbx arm64 version

Hi,
I tested vitalpbx in container via docker on x86 platform via centos systemd docker image and vitalpbx vps github script. it worked well even if vitalpbx hides specific parameters. But when i want to do the same via arm64 container , I realize that vitalpbx is compile only for x86 architecture.
So I switched to freepbx, I found a docker image that works on the ARM64 architecture.

My question is do you plan an arm64 version?
Why hide specific parameters?

Best regards

@juvabien,

Probably, we cover this architecture in the future. We don’t discard it.

C/p from Rob Thomas:

I really wish people would stop doing this 8-(

You have a whole bunch of problems waiting for you. Firstly, you have a new and exciting level of NAT problems by putting it inside docker.

Secondly, because Docker has to proxy ports individually, you’ve limited the RTP range to be 10000-10200, which means at most 50 simultaneous calls and as a wonderful bonus to that, you’ve removed all the security that randomizing RTP gives you (which you really want because spoofing RTP is trivial)

Thirdly STOP COMPILING ASTERISK. REALLY. STOP DOING THIS. There’s a bunch of projects that do this for you, and do testing and QA and everything, and even more importantly compile it correctly. I was happy and pleasantly surprised to see that you did actually compile it with libunbound, which is the first I’ve seen in ages, but you also installed Motif, which is 100% useless and dead.

Finally, Docker is totally the wrong tool for this, and I don’t know how many times I can say this. The correct tool is LXD 379. Docker was designed for stateless microservices. They’ve put persistence in, because why not, right? But, the whole Docker idea is based around ‘one service == one container’.

FreePBX is Asterisk, Apache, MySQL and NodeJS at the bare minimum. All of those things need to update themselves, which means THEY need persistent storage, and suddenly you’ve got the entire container exported via persistant storage and… hey, that’s exactly what LXD does for you!

I am sorry to rain on your parade, but I’ve said this a bunch of times. LXD good, Docker Bad. Docker EXCEPTIONALLY BAD for VoIP unless you’re using host networking or totally ignoring RTP.

2 Likes

To make this clear here:
Don’t think LXC will not cause you any issues on Vitalpbx.
It is not recommended to run Vitalpbx inside LXC. Fail2Ban / iptables might have problems.

Or did anything change on this statement here?

VitalPBX is not working with OpenVZ based VPS, please, use KVM based VPS.

Due OpenVZ share the kernel and system files with the other users on the node and the host it’s self, you are not able to modify the Kernel in any possible way, so, some applications like fail2ban does will not work as expected.

https://github.com/VitalPBX/VPS

Will VitalPBX run fine on LXD instead of LXC?

1 Like

this answer has no interest

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.