Multi Tenant Operator Extension

A while back I have asked the developers if it is possible to have the Voicemail Operator extension enabled for each tenant. I was told that you guys will check if it is possible.

Right now, the dialplan looks like this:

[sub-vm](+)
exten => o,1,NoOp(Calling to operator)
 same => n,Goto(ext-queues,100,1)
 same => n,Hangup()

I came up with the following dial plan and I think it will work:

[sub-vm](+)
exten => o,1,NoOp(Calling to operator)
 same => n,GotoIf($[${DB_EXISTS(${TENANT_PATH}/voicemail/operator)}]?${DB((${TENANT_PATH}/voicemail/operator))}:error)
 same => n,Hangup()
 same => n(error),Playback(error-message)
 same => n,Goto(sub-vm,s,1) ;Or whatever the context to go back to the voicemail menu

What this does, it tries to find an operator extension in the asterisk DB. If it finds it, then it goes to that destination, if it cannot find it, then it plays an error message and goes back to voicemail.

Here’s how the DB would look like.

[root@pbx1 ~]# asterisk -x"database show" | grep "voicemail/operator"
/21134sdfsgf00001/voicemail/operator            : T21_ext-queues,100,1
/21134sdfsgf00002/voicemail/operator            : T44_cos-all,101,1
2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion and code.

We have to implement an additional module or section to assign the operator from GUI.

2 Likes

What is a VM operator and what are the benefits and when to you use it? Thx

It allows to caller to press zero and be redirected to a different destination. See wiki: Voicemail Settings - VitalPBX Wiki “Operator Destination”

It is commonly used in customer service, tech support etc.

“Hi, you have reached John Doe, sorry I am away from my desk or on the other line. If you need immediate assistance, please press zero. Otherwise, please leave a message and I will get back to you…”

1 Like

Came across this post researching before I created my own. For now I’ve turned the feature off but definitely interested in this ability being added to the GUI. While your at it it would be nice to customize the email per tenant also, with so many voicemail scam emails going around we like to really personalize them.

1 Like

I too am interested in this feature. We are migrating from an older version of asterisk and this feature was used by most of my tenants.

The setup that provides the most flexibility is to be able to define the operator extension in the voicemail settings of each extension. When voicemail is enabled for an extension you have the option to populate a field with either a custom operator extension or even a ring group for that extension. This allows the caller to be transferred to whatever extension or ring group you specified in that field when they press zero. Since this is defined in the voicemail settings of each extension you can define the operator extension on a per extension basis which makes it more customizable than just a globally defined operator for all extensions of a tenant. This is especially useful for tenants that may have departments and need for some extensions to ring back to one extension while others need to ring back to a different extension.

In any case I would still be happy to have a globally defined operator extension on a per tenant basis if the above suggestions are not implemented.