Follow Me hangs up on caller

follow me hangs up on caller if callee refuses the call when prompt callee is turned on! this is not good, it should send the caller to another destination like VM. asterisk gives you an option if refuse the caller to send to another destination.

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the community.

Please provide the version of VitalPBX that you are using.

Can you please link the Asterisk config you are referring to, so the VitalPBX developers can look into that.

Hi and great to meet you, first I would like to say that in the 20 offices I have set up they are all using Vital PBX over Free PBX, Vital in my opinion is just a superior product, the only thing vital is lacking id the VmX Locator function that is used in asterisk and also the ability to send a rejected caller when the prompt callee function is activated to another destination when using follow me, such as VM. So the version of asterisk in is 18. I know VitalPBX’s version of the VmX Locator is the personal assistant but the personal assistant will not function if the caller is routed via a call queue, whereas the VmX Locator has no restrictions. So……………I digress, if the developers could check out…………google “vmx locator or follow me, which is best” they would see the powerful usage of the VmX Locator and being able to use follow me with a final destination if the call is rejected.

Just to be clear, Free PBX and VitalPBX have nothing in common other than they both use Asterisk. (So does 3CX, Twilio and many more) Also, I don’t work for VitalPBX.

Asterisk does not have a function called VmX Locator. Said PBX has developed a mini IVR, same idea as Personal Assistant in VitalPBX.

Why would you even want that? Calls to Queue Agents should go to their SIP Endpoints or to their diverted destinations. It should never be diverted to any sort answering system, because you literally defeat the call queueing solution.

Correct me if I am wrong. You are asking saying two things:

1. Issue: If you reject a FollowMe call, it gets lost.
  2. Feature Request: Allow setting a “Post FollowMe Destination” which I assume the default should be voicemail, with options to send it to Personal Assistant or any destination in the PBX.

Correct?

I agree with everything you said, I am just a PBX hobbyist setting up Vital PBX in homes and very small offices because I love the technology and learning about IT, so thank you for straightening me out about those items and teaching me a bit! and yes to your last statement, it would be great it Vital follow me has a fail over or final destination if the prompt callee were activated and the callee pressed 2 to reject the call VM or another destination) rather than just hanging up on the caller. Im am glad to be a part of this forum and fortunate to speak to intelligent IT people such as your-self, thank you, Joe

OK I figured out a dialplan where the follow me for an extension will not hang up on the caller if refused, it will go to that extensions VM…Vital has always had an issue with their follow me. If you set “prompt callee” it will play a message that you have an incoming call, press 1 to accept or 2 to reject, ufortunately Vital has never had a failover / reject destination, it just hangs up on the caller! without going back to the extensions VM.

To fix this…log into vital pbx with WinSCP, go to the /etc/asterisk/vitalpbx directory, create a file called…extensions_90-custom.conf (90 could be any available number, and inset this …
[T107_FW1019-confirm]
exten => s,100,NoOp(Confirm Call)
same => n,Set(DIALED_NUMBER=${CUT(DIALEDPEERNUMBER,@,1)})
same => n,Set(RECFILE=${ARG1})
same => n,Set(SOUND=${IF($[“${LEN(${RECFILE})}”=“0”]?followme/no-recording:followme/call-from&${RECFILE})})
same => n,GotoIf(${DB_EXISTS(${TENANT}/extensions/${DIALED_NUMBER}/name)}?accept)
same => n,Set(GOSUB_RESULT=CONTINUE)
same => n,Read(CONFIRM,${SOUND}&followme/options,1,1,5)
; same => n,GotoIf($[“${CONFIRM}”=“1”]?:end)
; same => n(accept),NoOp(Accept Call)
; same => n,Return()
; same => n(end),NoOp(Reject Call)
same => n(accept),Set(_GOSUB_RESULT=${IF($[“${CONFIRM}” = “1”]?:${GOSUB_RESULT})})
same => n,Return()

the exten 100 above is the extension number that you wnat to utilize the follow me. Now of course I take NO credit for this, i just found this work-around with a lot of research, but IT WORKS! now if reject the call it will revert to the extensions VM.

1 Like

Really appreciated for your search and effort i were also finding solution related follow me and then i red this post really great effort . ai am also finding a solution and trying to add a new feature in Vital or any asterisk base. like a voicemail to email feature i am trying to find out a solution voicemail to sms through api call from any sms provider to the recipient number and this can be done as like sending voicemail to user email (Callee email) that can be send on follow me number so now callee can have both option to receive his voicemail ( Email & Follow me )
when i was working on Open ai integration with vital that time i got this idea when i was getting my voicemail as text (transcription) on my email why not on my personal phone number as a sms notification in case of out of office or in travel .
In short i am not much expert in core functionality but i am trying to get enable this idea or feature
Regard
Ahsan